Historic Harrisville

P.O. Box 79
Harrisville, NH 03450

Erin Hammerstedt
Executive Director



Office Hours

Mondays 8:00 – 3:00

Tuesdays 8:00 – 4:00

Wednesdays 8:00 – 5:00

Thursdays 8:0 – 3:00

Fridays 8:00 – 3:00



Meetings & Events

Friends of Historic Harrisville Spring Meeting & Lunch
Saturday, April 18, 2020
10:00 a.m.
All are welcome

Friends of Historic Harrisville Fall Meeting & Lunch
Saturday, October 24, 2020
10:00 a.m.
All are welcome



Email Newsletter Signup



Pay HHI Rent Online

Historic Harrisville tenants may now pay their rent online using a credit card or PayPal. Click here to make an online payment.


Harris Mill, 1832-1833
Harris Boiler House, 1860

Harris Mill, 1832-1833; Harris Boiler House, 1860

Harris Mill, 1832-1833; Harris Boiler House, 1860

Milan Harris, the second son of Bethuel and Deborah Harris, was a forceful businessman. When he built this mill spanning the brook, the large Harris family had begun erecting their cluster of substantial houses, and more were planned. He therefore declared that the village should now be called Harrisville. The mill, as originally built, spans the brook and has a trap door monitor and gray slate roof. It was seamlessly enlarged in the 1850s, adding two bays and a stair tower with cupola. The mill gates at the base of its west side controlled the flow of Goose Brook for industrial waterpower, holding the water back in a broad canal that ads beauty to the center of the village. The flooring construction is board and joist, a form used before the advent of “slow burning” mill construction. The Harris Mill today houses the Weaving Center, the retail store of Harrisville Designs. Owned by Historic Harrisville, Inc.

The small, rectangular, red brick Boiler House sits astride Goose Brook just downstream from the Harris Mill. Owned by Historic Harrisville, Inc.

Harris Mill and Harris Boiler House
Photo from the HHI Archives